Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Philip Taylor (1949–2007)

Philip Taylor (1949–2007)

I was extremely saddened to learn of the death of Philip Taylor after a long illness on Monday 18 June 2007, aged just 58, Based in London and Northampton, England, he was a translator and author of books on Tchaikovsky's operas The Oprichnik and Vakula the Smith/Cherevichki, as well as a regular contributor to these pages.

Philip had a wealth of knowledge concerning Russian music in general, which he was always happy to share. His modesty and generosity will be greatly missed.

Brett Langston

The field of research into Russian music is much poorer for Philip Taylor's death. He had a remarkable memory for facts and figures relating to the subject and was, indeed, an exceptionally approachable and likeable person. I have been given to understand that, in the closing stages of his illness he did, fortunately, get to see the finalised form of his most recent research, namely his book Anton Rubinstein: A Life in Music.

Philip mentioned to me that he was very interested in the dynamics of the relationship between Rubinstein and his celebrated pupil, Tchaikovsky. That will be one among many reasons for looking forward to reading this publication.

Henry Zajaczkowski

Philip Taylor at the Tchaikovsky House-Museum in Klin, c.1993

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013