Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Check out Eugene Onegin - Movie - Review - New York Times

Check out Eugene Onegin - Movie - Review - New York Times

Here is the New York Times review of the movie version which came out in 1959. It may be of interest to our viewers. I saw it at the time. I wonder what became of the fifty minute Tchaikovsky documentary they mention in the article:

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9F00E0DF133CE63BBC4C52DFBF668382649EDE

Al Gasparo

It looks as though you have to be a registered user of the New York Times Site to view this page, although registration appears to be free.

P. Davydov

Indeed The New York Times editors are too nosey to take them seriously. I found on the Amazon a very nice review of this opera-movie, which can be regarded as a summary of what is presented to a viewer.

I append below that review:.

By Timothy R. Carpenter " (Philadelphia, PA)

This is one of the few opera DVDs which I am eager to watch again. Filmed in the Russian countryside and Saint Petersburg the staging and acting make this gorgeous production mesmerizing and emotionally affecting. The attractive actors look and act their parts and lip-synch convincingly. Every one of the singers is superb and the Bolshoi company has this music in their blood. The downside is that this film has considerable cuts—all of them internal (cuts within scenes or arias). It's not disastrous and I guess it's better to want more than wishing the singers would just get on with it and stop dawdling (Fleming/Horovsky and Chilcott/Hampson). The sound is not modern state-of-the-art, but my ears adjusted quickly to the good quality 50's production. The color changes slightly from time to time and there are a few extremely small hiccups during the transitions from one roll of film to the next. For me, however, these flaws don't affect my enjoyment of this excellent film one bit.

So, 5 stars for the singing, acting, sets and staging and 3 stars for the (re)production values for an average of 4 stars. Wish Amazon would provide for rating those two different values separately. Highly recommended—plus it costs about half that of the opera house productions.

Alexander Geidelberg

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of any external web sites

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013