Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Piano Transcriptions of Orchestral Works

Piano Transcriptions of Orchestral Works

Dear Mr. Molinas,

Many thanks for making available to us these hithertofore unknown solo piano arrangements of The Tempest and Francesca da Rimini. I was most gratified to see these works available. I have never see seen them in this format. Do you have transcriptions of Tchaikovsky's other orchestral works? Such as for instance his Suite No. 3, Opus 55 for piano solo? I have some of the better known pieces. And how did you acquire them? And as long as we are on the subject of piano solo arrangements, have you ever come across arrangements of Gustav Mahler's Symphonies for piano solo. The only one I know is the Fifth. Piano solo arrangements of orchestral music have always intrigued me. I would like to know how one can access more of these reductions.

Many thanks again for sharing with us these treasures. I do look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Albert Gasparo

Good day everyone,

I was quite agreeably surprised to see that such scores existed so thanks to my curiosity I went on searching for Hamlet for the piano at 2 a.m. and on the 81st page of the google search for "Hamlet piano arranged score", I thought I was going to have a heart attack (improbable at 16 years old, you'd say... ). I found it as well many other scores on this site (suites, symphonies e tutti quanti) : https://urresearch.rochester.edu/handle/1802/292/simple-search?query=tchaikovsky

But I would still like to thank again those who helped me before I found this site, and to the other pianists, have fun !

Bryan Chahla

And for the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Symphonies, I bought the arrangement for piano duet in the Dover edition. It might interest someone...

Bryan Chahla

Dear Bryan,

Thanks for bringing to our attention the website you mentioned. However I was only able to find two works arranged for piano solo: the Francesca da Rimini and surprise, surprise the First Symphony, for which i am very grateful.

Having been on the look out for piano solo reductions these many years it is always a pleasure to find something new. Having access to our local music library has enabled me to create a library of piano arrangements via zerox copies and purchases.

Here are the works I presently have of the piano solo reduction genre per Tchaikovsky:

• Marche Slav (available for purchase)
  • 1812 Overture (also available)
  • Symphonies 4, 5 and 6 (available in Dover and Carl Fischer editions)
  • Symphonies 4 and 6 (copies of old Theodore Presser editions)
  • Symphony no 5 (old Peters edition)
  • Capriccio Italien (copy)
  • Nutcracker (copy of Tchaikovsky Foundation edition now defunct)
  • Sleeping Beauty (original bought many years ago as above)
  • Nutcracker (Dover edition)
  • Swan Lake (copy of Tchaikovsky Foundation)
  • Romeo and Juliet Overture (old Schirmir edition)
  • Hamlet Overture (copy of Tchaikovsky Foundation edition)
  • Manfred Symphony (copy of jurgenson/soviet edition)
  • Valse from Serenade for Strings (copy)
  • Andante and Finale (copy, for two pianos)
  • copies, parts of Piano Concerto No. 2 and Concert Fantasie for two pianos.
  • And thanks to our friends at the Forum:
  • The Tempest Overture
  • Francesca da rimini
  • Symphony no 1

Also available are the complete piano works for piano solo by Tchaikovsky as per the excellent Konemann Music Budapest urtext edition in 7 volumes.

Many years ago i borrowed a copy of the Third Suite opus 55 for piano solo, Jurgenson edition. So i know a copy is out there somewhere.

If anyone has any more suggestions as to how to access more piano solo reductions Id be more than happy. I hope this is has been of some value to someone.

Many thanks,
Al Gasparo

Firstly, sorry for my english. I have various orchestral works by tchaikovsky adapted for piano, the most for piano 4 hands (the three gold ballets being a exception). Tchaikovsky himself is the one who did the arrangement in the most of the cases. In my own opinion the arrangement for 1 piano 4 hands is the minimal for a reasonable transcription of a tchaikosky orchestral work. In tchaikosky´s music there is a lot of local counterpoint that is very difficult (or imposible) to translate to one piano 2 hands (by example the arrangement of the Sleeping Beauty for piano solo by Ziloti is a massive one, very difficult to play).

I also have music records of this arrangements (symphony No 4, No 5, No 6, Suite No 2, Serenade for strings,Italian Capriccio, Romeo and Juliet, Festival overture on the Danish National Anthem, all for 1 piano 4 hands) and the effect is very good.

www.elibron.com is a site where I bought various piano scores (also there is vocal score of tchaikovsky´s operas). The site indicated by Mr. Bryan Chahla is also very good (I have download all the files).

In www.elebron.com there is a transcription for 2 pianos of Mahler Symphony No 2.

Manuel José Blanca Molinos

I am pleased to report that the IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library has just reopened, and includes a number of full scores and arrangements of Tchaikovsky's works:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Tchaikovsky%2C_Pyotr_Ilyich

Brett Langston

The www.imslp.org website mentioned above is a treasure trove for all music lovers. Over 16,000 scores of every genre are available for free download. Many rare scores can be perused. Hundreds of composers are listed. Ive found a rarity, Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings in piano solo format for example. This is a true find.

If there are any more such websites id be glad to here of them...

The www.elibron.com website has also much to recommend it..

Many thanks,
Al Gasparo

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013