Thanks to this web site I was able to garner 80 works for piano. 70 for
piano solo alone...mostly of piano arrangements of orchestral works the vast
number of which i have never encountered...a real find for those so
For those interested the above site features the following piano
arrangements of Tchaikovsky's orchestral works as well as certain pieces not
too readily available of his piano solo works:
- Andante and Finale 2 pianos
- Aveu Passione (based on the symphonic ballad "Voevoda")
- Capriccio Italien piano 4 hands
- Concert Fantasie 2 pianos
- Coronation March piano solo
- Dumka piano solo
- Fatum piano 4 hands
- Danish Festival Overture piano 4 hands
- Francesca da Rimini piano solo
- Grand Sonata op 37
- Manfred piano 4 hands
- 1812 Overture piano solo, 2 pianos 8 hands
- Piano Concerto no 1 2 pianos
- Piano Concerto no 3 2 pianos
- Piano Sonata op 80
- Romeo and Juliet piano 4 hands
- Serenade for Strings piano 4 hands
- Slavonic March piano solo
- Sleeping Beauty concert paraphrase piano solo
- The Storm piano 4 hands
- Theme and Variations from Suite No 3, op 55 arranged for piano
solo...can the complete suite be far behind?
- Swan Lake piano solo
- Symphony No 1 piano solo
- Symphony No 4 piano solo
- Symphony No 5 piano solo
- Symphony No 6 piano solo
Hoping this is of value to someone.
Is there a version of Tchaikovsky's arrangement of his Serenade for
Strings (piano 4 hands) that is public domain in the U.S.?
Yes, and it can be downloaded for free from the IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library (IMSLP):
Thanks. I just wasn't sure, because most of his
compositions/transcriptions just say public domain. Only his Serenade for
Strings and a couple others had: "This "urtext" or "scholarly" (scientific)
edition was published at least 25 years ago in the EU (or 20 years ago in
Italy, before 1990 in the former USSR). Hence, the edition is public domain
in its country of origin or a government publication. Such editions are also
public domain in Canada because they fail to meet the minimum 'threshold of
originality' to qualify for copyright as an 'adaptation'. It may not be
public domani elsewhere, however. More information about this can be found
here. Please obey the copyright laws of your country. IMSLP does not assume
any sort of legal responsibility or liability for the consequences of
downloading files that are not in the public domain in your country" right
So far as I understand, works have to be public domain in both Canada and
the USA in order to be included on IMSLP, and they are very thorough when it
comes to checking copyright status. But in this case there's no problem, as
Tchaikovsky's arrangement was first published in 1881, and this particular
Soviet edition is out of copyright.
Recent additions to the piano solo transcriptions and organ
transcriptions include the following...
1. A volume of various works arranged for organ.
2. Paraphrases of Eugene
Onegin and Queen of Spades
for piano solo prepared by Paul Pabst.
3. Serenade for Strings
for piano solo.....
4. Queen of Spades
arranged for piano solo, not to be confused with the vocal piano score...a
real rarity this from a time when everything was arranged for piano solo
Category:Tchaikovsky, Pyotr - IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library: Free Public
Domain Sheet Music
Updates on piano transcriptions of orchestral works of Tchaikovsky as per
IMSLP.....here are additions made in the last two years..
- Eugene Oneigin piano solo
- Capriccio Italien piano solo
- Hamlet Overture piano solo, piano 4 hands
- Hamlet Incidental Music piano 4 hands
- Iolanthe piano solo
- 1812 Overture piano 4 hands
- Manfred Symphony piano solo, 2 pianos 8 hands
- Nutcracker Ballet piano solo by Tanayev, simplified piano
- solo by Tchaikovsky..
- Pezzo Capricicoso Op 82 cello and piano
- Queen of Spades piano solo
- Romeo and Juliet Overture piano solo 1871 version, 2 pianos eight
- Serenade for Strings....piano solo
- Sleeping Beauty Ballet...piano solo
- Snow Maiden op 12.....piano solo
- Souvenir de Florence op 70....piano 4 hands
- Suite no 3 ...piano 4 hands
- Suite no 4 op 61 ....piano 4 hands
- Symphony no 2 ...piano 4 hands
- Symphony no 3...piano solo, piano 4 hands, 2 pianos 4 hands...
- Tempest Overture (after Shakespeare)....piano solo, piano 4 hands, 2
pianos 8 eight hands..
- The Voyevoda Opera.....potpourris on themes from.. piano solo...
I hope this brings joy to all those who relish piano transcriptions...