Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > T. Lives!!!

T. Lives!!!

I was just reviewing the John Williams canon. If that's not T-- I am not six-foot-two. Listen to "The Imperial March" and el. Absolutely stunning, brilliant and as forthcoming as the Master.

George Boyd

Hello George.

I have been unable to establish any links between the Imperial March (click on this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn_95hdy6Nw ) and the Tchaikovsky's music.

Some bars of The March could have been inspired by A. Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" ballet music. I would accept however accretions to the contrary.

It would be interesting to learn views of other contributors to the Forum.

Alexander Geidelberg

Well as far as Tchaikovsky is concerned I didn't see the connection....more like Gustav Holst's "The Planets" or perhaps some Prokofieff or even Shostakovich...the thing is Tchaikovsky's hallmark is his subjective emotional intensity rather then random blaring....but to each his own...you orchestrate a rather noisy ominous piece but it is not like the embrace of a dear friend whom you love warts and all...which is how I would describe the older master's effect on the emotions....his own peculiar voice has never been repeated..

but bravo if you feel any kinship....

Albert Gasparo

I think Prokofiev is the link. John Williams piece does sound like it might be influenced by that composer and whenever I hear 'The Love for three oranges' march I think I can hear influences from Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony 3rd movement (march).

Anyway, how many times have you thought someone looked like 'so and so' and someone else says they look nothing like them.

Paul Faulkner

Okay-okay--

I am NOT a musicolgist, nor have I ever pretended to be. I am a black playwright living in Montreal, Canada. I do not note every note that a composer writes. I am like T-- if it SOUNDS good-- sobeit! Go against form-- sobeit!! And my fellow T-lovers, you are totally missing the point. You are so totally involved in the academics of the situation as to miss the "humanity." 'Nuf said on that!

Give me T's 1812 (Overture) and add Williams' "Imperiial March" and I can make a symphony!!! I just need Beethoven to write the middle section (hahahaahhahah)!!!!

Listen to the above pieces. You will swear they come from the same pen!

George Boyd

It is interesting that Tchaikovsky considered the commission to write the 1812 Overture to be a product of "loud noise and banging"...unlike his next work the Serenade for Strings which he hoped would have more artistic merit...however I dont think the 1812 is that bad...I get a big kick out of playing it in its solo piano transciption...it does have a certain verve and energy...and creative flow...

Albert Gasparo

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013