Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Tchaikovsky and Russia

Tchaikovsky and Russia

Hello. My name is Jungsoo Kim and I'm a high school student who is trying to write research paper on Tchaikovsky.

I'm trying to write about that Tchaikvosky was influenced by Russian culture and society(apparently since he is Russian), and His compositions therefore reflect Russian culture and society.

So far, I got Symphony No.6, 1812 Overture and March Slav for my examples.

And I'm trying to find other examples.

Please help me.

Jungsoo Kim

Dear Jungsoo Kim,

Try analyzing Tchaikovsky's the fourth movement of T's fourth symphony; there's a folk song melody that he uses in the woodwinds - it appears for the first time after the burst of excitement in the intro of the finale.

Hope this little tidbit helps,

Michael Svoboda

Hello Jungsoo Kim

The influence of Russian culture on Tchaikovsky is manifold...

• As for example his early "Festival Overture on the Danish National Anthem.... commissioned for the Tzarevich's marriage to a Danish princess...
  • His incidental music to The Snow Maiden....a Russian fairytale...and also a play by Ostrovski...features a good dose of Russian like folk song element...
  • The operas Vakula revised later to The Slippers has many Russian folk like themes resounding through it and it is based on a story by Gogol...
  • ..The main theme (not the introduction) of the First Piano Concerto is based on a Russian folk song ....the main theme from that concerto's final movement has a distinctive Russian dance like quality....
  • the finale of his Violin Concerto has a Russian dance flavor...
  • his Second Symphony "The Little Russian" utilizes Ukrainian folk songs...
  • the finale from his Fourth Symphony of course..
  • the Marche Slav which also includes the Russan national anthem...
  • his First String Quartet features in the Andante Cantabile a folk song Tchaikovsky had heard in the Ukraine....
  • the Finale of his Second Suite which ends with a Russian dance...
  • his piano piece "Dumka" which represents a Russian village scene...
  • various of his operas are based on Russian works...his first ..the Voevoda...based on a drama by Ostrovski..his third "The Oprichnik",.....Eugene Oniegen, Mazeppa and Queen of Spades all based on the works of Pushkin....the opera The Enchantress based on a Russian drama....as he grew older the impact of the strictly Russian element lessened in his music....still in The Nutcracker you have the Russian Dance.....and a Trepak in the 18 piano pieces of 1893...

...and so Jungsoo Kim....I hope this helps answer your question...

Regards,

Albert Gasparo

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external web-sites

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013