Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > 7TH Symphony??

7TH Symphony??

While browsing internet recently, I came across a download for T's Seventh Symphony. Surely this is a ploy. I've always understood only six. Can anyone respond to this query, or clarify?

George Boyd

This is the Symphony in E major that Tchaikovsky began and abandoned in 1892, eventually converting three movements into the Piano Concerto No. 3 just before he died. A reconstruction of the score by the Soviet scholar Semyon Bogatyrev was published in the 1950s, and it was recorded by Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra under the misleading title of "Symphony No.7" (despite the fact that it was written between the 5th and 6th symphonies!).

Brett Langston

The First Movement was the only part of the Third Concerto he completed before his death....a rendition with Michael Ponti was done in the 1960's and was the first complete rendering of the concerto that I know of....Ponti also was the first to record Tchaikovsky's complete piano solo works...during the same period, all on the Vox label...the work has many delights for Tchaikovsky fans....his pupil Taneyev arranged the last two movements after the composer's death...all of course from the remains of the discarded "7th" symphony....the scherzo was turned into a piano piece by the composer, the so called "Scherzo-Fantasie of opus 72.....though the work has never been part of the repertory it is well worth hearing....

Albert Gasparo

I have a copy of the LP of Tchaikovsky's 7th Symphony Conducted by Eugene Ormandy. It is available for sale.

Joe Buondelmonte

Amazon.com: Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 3; Symphony No. 7: Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky, Neeme Järvi, London Philharmonic Orchestra

Here is the infrequently performed Seventh Symphony coupled with the Third Piano Concerto for comparison.....only the first movement was completed by the composer in concerto format.....

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No 7, Rococo Variations / Rose, Ormandy | ArkivMusic

The first recorded performance of the Seventh Symphony made in 1962....I remember buying it around that time....a pleasant surprise...

Albert Gasparo

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013