Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Pop Songs based on Tchaikovsky's music

Pop Songs based on Tchaikovsky's music

Here are some popular songs & admusic that are based on Tchaikovsky's music. "Here" from the Pas de Deux in the Nutcracker, first made popular by Tony Martin. Lyrics start out "Here, in this enchanted place. Here, enclosed in your embrace."

"Our Love" is from Romeo & Juliet. A slow movement from Fifth Symphony was the music for the "Colorizer Paints" commercial. "Moon Love" is from Sixth Symphony. Sinatra sang a version of this in the 1940s.

Thank You!

Max Reiner

15/10/2011 09:29

I believe "Moon Love" derives from the Andante Cantabile of the Fifth Symphony but the second theme from the Sixth Symphony was rendered into "This is the story of a stormy night"....both sung by Frank Sinatra,,,also "Tonight we love" as arranged by Tony Martin is based on the opening theme from the first Piano Concerto...

Al Gasparo

16/10/2011 15:03

User:Melodia/List of popular songs based on classical music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a fairly comprehensive list of popular songs based on classical music...surprising how large the list is....

Al Gasparo

16/10/2011 15:23

Actually the Sinatra song was called “This is the story of a starry night”. Disney used several Tchaikovsky moments in his “Sleeping Beauty” movie.

Joseph Brand

19/10/2011 00:13

Jan Peerce - The Story Of A Starry Night (1964) - YouTube

Your were right Joseph ....and here it is as sung by Jan Peerce...and you know its not that bad...I heard it sung only once in a movie long ago...based on the Sixth Symphony...

Tony Martin - Tonight We Love (1941) - YouTube

As based on the First Piano Concerto.....

Once Upon a Dream - Sleeping Beauty (1959) - YouTube

A scene from Disney's Sleeping Beauty featuring the song based on the Valse Lente.....as I remember the movie it contained very little of Tchaikovsky's music beyond this bit...

Frank Sinatra - Moon Love - YouTube

Based on the Fifth Symphony....

HERE (sung by Tony Martin) 1954 - YouTube

Regretably Max I could not see the connection between Tony Martin's "Here" and the pas de deux from The Nutcracker....nor are there any credits in that regard...there is a vague downward thrust of the main melody but it doesn't resemble the Tchaikovsky....a bit of a stretch...maybe you have some more info on this...

Our Love [from Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet] | Ted Heath Song - Yahoo! Music

I was able to find this as an instrumental arranged for dance band....fine job too....

The Story of a Starry Night, Moon Love and Tonight We Love come over as

good popular songs arrangements....do not distort the music too much....

Well that's it for now...its been an interesting adventure....I wonder how many more are out there....remember a version of a song based the Valse of the Serenade for Strings as well....

Best Wishes,

Al Gasparo

19/10/2011 12:57

Regarding "Our Love' you might want to go to Rhapsody to hear it..a fine website for classical music....you can get 25 free songs or movements a month.....

Al Gasparo

19/10/2011 13:03

If you go to You Tube and check out "Ellington/Strayhorn Nutcracker Suite (Overture)" you will find a delightful jazz interpretation of the Nutcracker Suite....in eight separate videos.....if you are adventurous and want to get a fresh new take on this old favorite...it is inventive, creative and insightful..

It was first released in 1960....here is the Steve Schwartz review from 1998..as it appeared in CD Review....I hope our readers will find this of interest...

"...I dont think you will be dissapointed, Ellington-Strayhorn recompose substantially, altering Tchaikovsky more than Stravinsky did Pergolesi for the Pulcinella ballet, and the work becomes more theirs than the Russian's. They don't just put a jazz beat behind Tchaikovsky's ballet, although I don't mean to imply that the jazz rhythms they come up with are routine. In transmogrifying Tchaikovsky to something idiomatic to jazz, they extend Tchaikovsky's basic ideas and harmonies in new and surprising ways.

Gunther Schuller mused rather wistfully about the benefits of classical musicians looking hard at an Ellington score. For him, there were leaps of high imagination on every page. In Ellington's Nutcracker, they seem to come in just about every measure. I consider this one of the great American scores, and you'll probably never hear it at your local symphony.

Ellington gave new titles to the movements and rearranged their order, justified, I believe, by the new character of the music. The sequence in the Ellington-Strayhorn Nutcracker runs:

• Overture
  • Toot Toot Tootie Toot (Dance of the Mirlitons, or Reed-Pipes)
  • Peanut Brittle Brigade (March)
  • Sugar Rum Cherry (Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy)
  • Entr'acte
  • The Volga Vouty (Russian Dance)
  • Chinoiserie (Chinese Dance)
  • Danse of the Floreadores (Waltz of the Flowers)
  • Arabesque Cookie (Arabian Dance)

The "Overture" transforms the miniature delicacy of the original to an easy lope, with some unusual syncopated counterpoint. "Toot Toot Tootie Toot" (originally titled "Caliopatootie toot toot tootie Toot") begins with some absolutely brilliant writing for solo winds and finger cymbals, none of which comes from Tchaikovsky. When the Tchaikovsky theme appears, Ellington-Strayhorn throw in extra tasty dissonances and genuine counterpoint, taking off from jazz voicings. Ellington's Sugar-Plum Fairy prowls through the night on the arm of a deliciously insinuating sax solo from Harry Carney. The "Entr'acte" plays with overture once again, this time allowing soloists greater opportunity for display. This might be an earlier draft of the overture, too good to throw away. "The Volga Vouty" stands out for the color Ellington-Strayhorn coax from all sorts of mutes. "Peanut Brittle Brigade" sizzles as a driving big-band number, with skirls of parallel chords from the saxophones, on the money rhythmically and pitch-wise, and a powerful baritone sax solo from Paul Gonsalves....

At "Chinoiserie," Ellington and Strayhorn turn in a brilliant orchestration of solo saxes, plucked chords from the bass, and a delicate percussion seasoning from drummer Sam Woodyard. This wind writing is so spectacular as to be out of most classical composers' reach. "Danse of the Floreadores" turns the lush string writing of Tchaikovsky's "Waltz of the Flowers" into a kaleidoscopic exploration of various wind and brass combos. The finale, in the Ellington-Tizol "Caravan" vein, boasts the reed and brass sections taking long phrases in apparently one huge breath and a fantastic solo from sax great Johnny Hodges. In all, one of the outstanding examples in all music of one great composer rethinking and re-imagining another.''

AL Gasparo

22/10/2011 17:40

You missed one out, AL...

B.BUMBLE AND THE STINGERS - NUT ROCKER (U.K.No1.1962)

I remember jiving to it. Everybody loved it. I still do.

Michael Porter

26/10/2011 01:34

Kathryn Grayson in 'Waltz Serenade' (from "Anchors Aweigh" - 1945) - YouTube

Here is a lovely rendering of a song based on the Waltz from the Serenade for Strings...as sung by Kathryn Grayson...there was another rendering of a song based on this Waltz in the movie..."In The Good Old Summertime"....another gem with Van Johnson and Judy Garland...from 1949....

AL Gasparo

04/11/2011 21:54

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external web-sites

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013