Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Hello, I have two Tchaikovsky questions!

Hello, I have two Tchaikovsky questions!

Hi,

I'd like to first start out by saying thank you for putting together such a professional and comprehensive site about Tchaikovsky, his life, and his music!

Onto the questions: 1) I have come across a video of Gennady Rozhdestvensky conducting Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Live in concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C034gk4R5tI The video is only four minutes long, and I have no additional information regarding the date, orchestra, or where to find the rest of the footage. The user who posted the footage is no longer maintaining his account. My guess is that it is from the 60's or early 70's when Rozhdestvensky was chief of the Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra. This footage is not his ministry of culture recording under the Erato label, and it is not recording of R+J from the DVD Notes Interdites. Do you have any information regarding where to find the rest of this rare footage?

2) My other question is simple. Did Tchaikovsky express any opinion about the music of Anton Bruckner?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Denny Crane

07/11/2011 22:54

There isn't much on Tchaikovsky and Bruckner...we do know that late in Tchaikovsky's life that he bought a few scores of Bruckner's Symphonies to explore...but not much beyond that....we dont know if he did have time to examine the Bruckner works or give an opinion....There is no indication that he actually ever heard Bruckner's music....

Regards,

AL Gasparo

08/11/2011 20:29

The YouTube listing does mention that is was played by the London Festival Orchestra, but I have no way of verifying that.

Rozhdestvensky certainly has given many concerts in the UK, including the ‘Western’ premiere of Shostakovich’s Fourth Symphony in 1962.

Many of these live concerts have been reissued on the BBC Legends label, but sadly no Romeo so far.

Sorry I’m not able to help further...

Fred Edwards

09/11/2011 07:51

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external web-sites

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013