Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Tchaikovsky's celeste

Tchaikovsky's celeste

Dear Sir/Madam.

I am from the Australian National University and am doing research into the celeste.

I will be in St Petersburg later this week for 5 days.

Do you have any suggestions how I can find more about the celeste Tchaikovsky used for his Nutcracker? Do you know where his celeste is housed?

Or any other information you may think would be useful or places I could explore.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,

Susanne Powell
31/05/2012 09:40

I have been informed that the celeste which Tchaikovsky brought with him from Paris to be used in the production of "The Nutcracker" is now housed in the museum of the Saint Petersburg Conservatory at No. 3 Theatre Square (Teatral'naia ploshchad'). The museum is located in the foyer of the Conservatory's opera and ballet theatre and is open to the public from Monday to Thursday, 11:00–16:00, but only by previous appointment (Tel: +7 (812) 312 54 56, ext. 127; Email: museum@conservatory.ru). You could also try going directly to the Conservatory's main reception desk during those times and asking the porter to contact the museum's director, Ol'ga Nikolaevna GavrIlyina, who may be able to show you round the museum even without an appointment. Apart from Tchaikovsky's celeste, the Conservatory's museum houses many other fascinating exhibits and is definitely worth visiting.

Brett Langston
04/06/2012 00:02

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external web-sites

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013