Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Tchaikovsky's Symphonies 1-3?

Tchaikovsky's Symphonies 1-3?

Was wondering if any of you have recommendations for Tchaikovsky`s Symphonies 1-3..after I had to send my new Gergiev/LSO cd back?

With regards,

Rosemary Belk
16/12/2012 15:40

Hi Rosemary,

To my ears, the finest recordings of symphonies 1-3 are from Gennady Rozhdestvensky's set with the Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra (USSR RTV Large Symphony Orchestra) on the Melodiya label. You can find it on Amazon for about $30.00 right now as well as many other sites (presto classical/ebay etc.). This set includes all six symphonies.

It contains my favorite recordings of symphonies 1-3. However, I would have to substitute No. 4 for Koussevitzky's with the Boston Symphony Orchestra (you can find that at Haydn House). For No. 6, this set is nice, however I prefer Rozh's live recording on Intaglio w/ the same orchestra, but above all, I enjoy Rozh's recording with the London Symphony on the Regis label (it contains the most best ending of Tchaik 6 of any recording I've heard).

Hope this helps. Happy listening! :)

Regards,

Denny Crane
27/01/2013 01:08

Dear Rosemary,

Why did you send the LSO/Gergiev CD, with beautiful fresh interpretations of Tchaikovsky’s first three symphonies, back? I think these are the best recordings of this music nowadays. So buy them and enjoy!

Rien Schraagen
20/06/2013 16:20

Dear Rosemary,

My recommendation is “Muti/PO”. The timpani is whacked very strongly. Especially The Second Symphony “Ukraine” is a great recording !

In addition, I recommend also “ Maazel/VPO”.

Kenji Sgiyama
22/06/2013 14:30

Dear Rosemary,

Haitink, Rostropovitch, Jansons, Pletnev. All of these will bring much pleasure. I’ve got the Gergiev too and particularly liked his No.3. But remember, no one version is definitive. They all bring something different and original to their interpretations and provided the recording quality is good (which is true in all these cases) in reality you need them all!

Happy listening.

Joseph Brand
23/06/2013 13:58

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external web-sites

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013