Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Two Act 3. Scene 1 Evgeny Onegin endings.

Two Act 3. Scene 1 Evgeny Onegin endings.

Hello Everyone:

This question has bothered me for some 20 years and I, finally have the perfect site for those who might be able to answer it.

In Act 3, Scene 1, in the Gremin Castle, a Polonaise and a Ecossaise is danced (in some versions like the Bychkov Philips recording the Ecossaise is omitted entirely). The scene wraps up with either the reprise of the Ecossaise or a 25 second different dramatic ending.

I have never heard that there was a revision of this opera and I have heard different endings of this scene many times. Did Tchaikovsky actually write 2 endings depending on whether a ballet was utilized or not?

Does anyone know the answer to this perplexing question?

Thank you all so very much!

John Garish
29/05/2013 01:17

Hello John,

The Ecossaise wasn't part of the original score of the opera, and it was added for the St. Petersburg revival in 1885. Our work history for Onegin includes the following explanation:

"In the 1891 edition [of the full score] the tempi observations were changed; a cut was made in the finale of Scene 4; and in Scene 6 a chorus was replaced by the Ecossaise, which Tchaikovsky wrote at the request of Ivan Vsevolozhsky, the Director of the Imperial Theatres for Saint Petersburg, in 1885. A letter of 10/22 August 1885 from Vsevolozhsky to Pavel Pchelnikov has come down to us in which Vsevolozhsky sets forth the reasons why a new dance number was required for the Saint Petersburg ball scene. On 21 August/2 September 1885, Tchaikovsky wrote to Pyotr Jurgenson: "I've had a meeting with Vsevolozhsky, who asked me to write a dance number for the second ball in Onegin. Given that new decorations and costumes are currently being fitted out for this ball, and given also that they are taking so much trouble to ensure the success of Onegin, I could not refuse, in spite of my disinclination, and I agreed to fulfil Vsevolozhsky's request. We had a long discussion about the kind of dance that was to be added until, finally, we settled on an Ecossaise…"

It's nearly always the version with the ecossaise that's performed and recorded nowadays, but just occasionally conductors catch us by surprise!

Hope this helps,

Brett Langston
29/05/2013 22:13

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external web-sites

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013