Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Symphony no 6 4th movement, Adagio lamentoso scoring question

Symphony no 6 4th movement, Adagio lamentoso scoring question

Dear Forum,

Despite having been a professional musician (oboist and pianist) for nearly forty years there are still many questions that remain unanswered.

I am posting here a scoring question that has puzzled me for as long as I can remember.

The opening eight bar theme, which appears many times throughout the movement, is heard as a descending scale though it is actually written in a very different way. The notes of the theme alternate between 1st and 2nd violins as can be seen in the attached copy of the score (Ex.1).

Why does Tchaikovsky write the theme in this way?

What does it achieve?

I don't believe the listener can hear or would be aware of this 'splitting' of the theme.

If written, as one would expect, with the descending scale played by the 1st violin (Ex.2) and the lower notes by the 2nd violins - would it sound any different.

One could argue that if the 2nd violins were seated on the right side of the platform opposite the 1st violins (as is favoured by certain conductors and in certain countries) then the alternating scale would be more clearly heard but this creates further issues. The second violins would be facing away from the listener and so the scale would be unbalanced - strong/weak/strong/weak etc.

(Note that a similar situations occurs with the viola and the 'cello alternating their parts, though being written below the violin parts, this is perhaps not so 'apparent'.)

Laurence A Frankel
London, England
28/10/2013 17:53

An apt day to raise this Laurence, as today is  the 120th anniversary of the Pathétique's premeère!

The first and second violins would indeed have been seated opposite each other (as is evident from a photograph of a memorial performance of the symphony, conducted by Eduard Nápravník a few weeks after Tchaikovsky's death).

As to 'why' Tchaikovsky wrote it that way, I would go along with the view that when the strings finally do play together in the second half of the movement, the psychological effect is much more powerful.

Brett Langston
28/10/2013 20:05

Thank you Brett for your timely and quick response.

I appreciate what you say 'when the strings finally do play together in the second half of the movement, the psychological effect is much more powerful' though there are many other ways to create a more powerful effect, psychological (or musical).

I adhere to my puzzlement whenever the opposing seating of first and second violins is used in any work. The second violins will be playing away from the audience and so there has to be a degree of loss of colour, timbre and indeed volume. I have often been aware of this in the symphonies of Brahms and Schumann and of course, from the first oboe seat, one often hears more of the second violins than the first violins in this seating pattern.

Laurence A Frankel
London, England
29/10/2013 09:09

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external web-sites

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013