Vladikavkaz (Владикавказ) is a city and the
administrative centre of the republic of North Ossetia (Северная
Осетия) in the Russian Federation. During Tchaikovsky's lifetime it was
the administrative centre of Tersk oblast (Терская область)
in the Russian Empire.
Tchaikovsky visited Vladikavkaz on four occasions:
- 28 March/9 April–30 March/10 April 1886 — stopping at the "poor" Hôtel
on his way to Tiflis.
- 16/28 April 1888 — pausing briefly on his return from Tiflis to Moscow, in
order to send a telegram to his brother Anatoly.
- 3/15 May–4/16 May 1889 — an overnight stay while again returning from
visiting Anatoly in Tiflis.
- 24 October/5 November–25 October/6 November 1890 — travelling from Tiflis to Taganrog,
the composer stayed overnight in Vladikavkaz, where he "sat through one act"
of Calixa Lavallée's operetta L'Oiseau Mouche .
Please note that we are not responsible for the content of other internet
- Diary entry for 28 March/9 April 1886 [back]
- Letter 4243 to Praskovya Tchaikovskaya, 27 October/8
November 1890 [back]
This page was last updated on
15 February 2013